The roots of Faith Baptist Church formed Sunday, May 4, 1933, when Charles and Frances Binning invited 17 children into their home for Sunday School. By July of that year, the Sunday School had grown to more than 40 children. Their parents began asking for the addition of an adult worship service, and a church was established.
Known as Gospel Center, the church body met in a rented storefront and portable classrooms in East Detroit from 1934 to 1938. That year, the church purchased a building on Nine Mile, just east of Schoenherr. Under the ministry of Rev. Binning, the name of the church was changed to Faith Baptist Church. Rev. Binning served as pastor until 1958.
Following Rev. Binning’s retirement, Pastor Paul Murphrey answered the call to lead the church. Soon, the church outgrew its current facility on Nine Mile. A new church was built on Schoenherr, just south of 11 Mile, which is its present location. The first service was held Easter Sunday in 1965 in the new building. In 1978, an educational wing was added.
After 23 years, Pastor Murphrey retired from his position, and Dr. David Cummins was welcomed as the new pastor of Faith in November 1981. Under his ministry, a sister church, Cornerstone Baptist, was started in Detroit. In 1993, Faith purchased Calvary Christian School of Roseville, now known as Faith Christian School, located in Clinton Township. As the church body grew, a new auditorium and classroom building were completed in 1996.
In 1997, Pastor Cummins resigned to become the deputation director for Baptist World Mission. In May of that year, the church body called Dr. Marty Marriott to serve as pastor. During his leadership, the church helped start Faith Baptist Church of Northern Macomb, located in Ray Township. Dr. Marriott resigned in 2010 to become the president of Maranatha Baptist Bible College in Watertown, WI.
In September 2011, Pastor Tim Berlin accepted the call to lead the church as senior pastor.